Friday, February 14, 2014

WOGE #426 update 3

Thanks to a hint from Ole (and to Luis asking for the hint) I was able to solve the somewhat challenging WOGE 425. I was already thinking of Scandinavia because of the deep shadows seen even in a summertime picture. In search of the green beach I started looking at areas with copper deposits. I found scenery in Norway that was similar enough to encourage me to keep looking there, and in a few more minutes I found the Gusdal olivine pit. Ole made sure the port facilities were just off the edge of the image so that it would not be too easy to find.

For the next edition I have something green and mountainous as well:

I suspect that if no one recognizes this mountain immediately, then it will be quite hard to find.  There will be no Schott rule this time, and I have a series of additional images to use as hints.  I will release one every few days until someone wins.  To win, just tell us the coordinates of the location and some information about the geology.  Finding the geology of this spot was very difficult for me, so I will give some suggestions. First, look at all the pictures, since some of them have good views of rock formations. Next, go to the geological agency for this country and you should be able to download a geologic map of the local area with enough detail to tell us how the mountain formed. For more rules, hints, and the history of WOGE, look at Felix Bossert's blog.

It has been four days, so I will start sharing the hint images:
Time for a little more help.  This is not actually a close-up of our location.  It is a mountainside about fifteen kilometers away:
Maybe a view of the larger area will help:


10 comments:

  1. That is one strange mountain. The more I look at it, the more I think I understand the geology - but the location eludes me.
    The deciduous trees didn't help much, I had already seen that from the first image - but at least the snow cover narrowed the geographical range a little.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad the hint was helpful. This mountain caught my attention because it is very different from its surroundings. So... if you find a mountain that looks similar, don't bother focusing on the immediate area. That strategy won't work this time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would say the snow means, that we have a higher altitude, but does not necessarily mean that we are in a very northern area.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Felix,
    It depends on whether you consider 1800 meters to be a "higher altitude".
    As for the latitude, the shadows in this WOGE definitely are much shorter than those in the last edition.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As I'm living on 450m, I would say 2.000 meters are high. The lime stone platform (lime stone I thing??) , is that a so called "Inlier" ??

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inliers_and_outliers_%28geology%29

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think the mountain might be considered an "outlier", but my grasp of geology is not good enough to say for certain that the term applies.
    You did identify the type of rock correctly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Found it.
    36°54' N 55° 4' E
    Ghalee Miran in Golestan, northern Iran.
    This is at the edge of the Alborz range, formed by the Paleo-Tethyan continent-continent collision suture. From what I can see this mountain is not actually on the Alborz range side of the thrust fault, but represents a small remnant of Jurassic to Cretaceous sediments that have for some reason not been eroded away.
    The base of the mountain is the Carboniferous Mobarak Formation, unconformally overlaid by Jurassic Lar formation and two Cretaceous units I can't find names for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hang on - this isn't an outlier at all! I think it's the core of a recumbent fold, the southern edge of the "plateu" is the older Jurssic rocks and the flatter main part represents the fold plane - possibly the cleavage in the fold plane became a weak slip plane during erosion?

      This is only speculation, but if it were an outlier I would expect to find the same formation more or less horizontally somewhere in the region. And I can't find any.

      Delete
  8. http://overburdenblog.blogspot.no/2014/02/woge-427.html is up

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations Ole,
    I was hoping that whoever found this would be able to give us some more insight into the possible geology. I figured out that this is the only remnant of an erosion resistant limestone in the area, but I could not have guessed exactly why it is there.

    ReplyDelete