Tuesday, December 2, 2014

WOGE #464 Update 4

I have not had much time to spend on WOGE lately, but when Ole gave such a nice hint to his last entry, I could not resist trying. I had already guessed that Canada might be a good place to check, so I began focusing on the border areas, and I was able to find Turtle Mountain pretty quickly. This seems like an area with interesting geology and scenery very different from the surrounding landscape.

For the next challenge I give you an area I have had in mind for some time:
Tell us the latitude and longitude and something about the geology seen in the picture. I especially would like some comment about what is happening there right now.  The winner gets to choose the next location and host WOGE.  I think this one might be quite difficult, so there will be no Schott rule. For rules and history of the game, visit Felix Bossert's blog. Enjoy your search!

It's been a few days, so here is a hint:  The right side image was taken on March 12, the left side on November 2.

Maybe a larger view will be helpful.

Still no guesses, so I will share a close-up. This is from the top left corner of the first view, or the top right of the second view.
Even at this scale, I can't see any penguins. However, you might catch a glimpse of one of these:

 

3 comments:

  1. 17° 30′ 0″ S, 48° 30′ 0″ E

    Lake Alaotra in Madagascar.
    From Wikipedia: "The fertile plain surrounding lake Lake Alaotra is Madagascar's most important rice-producing region. The hills surrounding the lake were formerly forested, but have mostly been cleared for farmland in past decades. Severe erosion on these vulnerable hill slopes has caused considerable sedimentation of the lake, which is fast disappearing; the lake is now only 60 cm deep during the dry season. Pressure to create more rice fields has also led locals to burn the reedbeds surrounding the lake. These reedbeds provide the sole habitat of the endemic Alaotra Gentle Lemur (Hapalemur griseus alaotrensis). "

    I had concluded that the lake was not on any continent, and was going to start on the major islands today when I saw the lemur and jumped straight to Madagascar. :)

    The colour and size of the fields made me waste a lot of time searching Ethiopia, but lakes with THAT colour in Ethiopia tend to be strongly alkaline or saline, and thus have no reed marshes along the edges.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations Ole. I think you would have found this spot soon, even without my hint. Unfortunately, deforestation, severe erosion, and sedimentation of lakes are taking place in so many areas worldwide that my location turned out to be a difficult challenge. We look forward to seeing what you have in store next.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Erosion and sedimentation happen all the time, but usually a little slower than at Lake Alaotra.

    So here is the next WoGE: http://overburdenblog.blogspot.no/2014/12/where-on-google-earth-465.html

    ReplyDelete